January and February
October 7th 2013 will mark our 30th year as missionaries here in Hokkaido, Japan. We praise God for His graces in keeping us here for this length of time. Our Lord has supplied our needs and we, like the apostle Paul, have learned to trust Him no matter what support came in month by month. God supplies our needs through His servants in local churches. We would like to thank all those who have answered God’s call to supply our needs through faithful support over the years. In the coming months we would like to highlight those who have supported this work for more than 30 years, including our short deputation time.
Faith Baptist Church of Spokane, Washington: Pastor Greg Boyle has been the pastor for all these years. Our first meeting at Faith Baptist is memorable in many ways. One point that stands out is that after Ken showed our slides and preached, Pastor Boyle asked the church right then for a show of hands for taking us on for support! Ken looked down quickly so he would not see how many hands were raised or not. This church has been faithful in their financial support, in prayer support and love support through birthday, anniversary and encouragement cards sent. We praise God and thank Pastor & Mrs. Boyle and all the members of Faith Baptist Church for their faithful service to the Lord Jesus through supplying our needs over these many years.
Recently, a Christian family moved to a town south of us. In their desire to be in church as much as possible, they are willing to drive the hour and a half to be with us on Sundays. We rejoice in their desire, in this opportunity and look forward to what God will do in their lives as well as our communities as a result of their testimony.
The Lord supplied so that Vicki could make a personal trip to the states during the month of February to be with family in three states and celebrated birthdays in each place. She visited our oldest son’s, our daughter’s and our 2nd son and his wife flew to our daughter’s to be with us for a few days. Our eldest son drove down from Virginia to Georgia just for a little over 24 hours stay because the two brothers had not seen each other in four years. Vicki ended her stay in Wisconsin where her mother, brother and wife live. Vicki made many special memories and is safely back at home after being stranded an extra day in Wisconsin and also at this end for 2 extra days due to winter storms.
Ken held the fort and carried on as usual although he did add one extra ministry. A fellow missionary (2 hours away) had to be gone for 3 Sundays so Ken filled in on one Sunday there. He was thankful not only for grace in preaching but also for safe traveling in winter conditions.
1. Families of believers to be saved and baptism of believers
2. Health of Mrs. Sonoda-she never knows if she is going to have a hard day or calm day—dizziness; discomfort; praise-her husband was checked for one type of cancer and it was negative. Her father though had to have most of his stomach removed due to cancer and he is still unsaved
3. Bible study with Hitomi Tsuzuki-her salvation; rehab and healing of her knee
4. New inroads to be found into people’s lives and hearts; Mr. Moriyama, Miss Emi, Filipino ladies (who we have not been able to help get here; Town folk
5. March/April is a major transition in and out with jobs—praying for those that leave to have further Christian contacts and for new folk that come in and we may find ways of meeting them
6. Yen/dollar values
Serving Christ Together, Ken & Vicki Mansell
Just APrayer At Night – Your evening is our daytime